Thursday 2 March 2017

MwtH Double Bill: Ballet: Sleeping Beauty & Play: Roundelay

The Man with the Hat has rarely had a more varied week. Following the naked raucousness of Monday's performance (which, mind you, we all enjoyed very much), on Tuesday we headed instead with Let's Do London - for less! to the plush surroundings of the Opera House for Sleeping Beauty.

Heading there on foot from the office.. a funny thing happened on the way to the theatre. I swear, I had to drag myself away.. imagine the spectacle of a 60-seater coach trying to make a right turn into Short's Gardens. See, he was coming from Endell Street - and had he been able to carry on - in the direction I was walking - he'd have come to the Opera House, which may have been his destination. However, there were roadworks straight ahead, so he had to turn. Now, for those who don't know the area around Short's Gardens - well, it's all narrow streets and tight turns. He didn't have a hope, what with posts at the pavement edge, and lamp posts - and the several people trying to help direct him had their work cut out. Spectators were having great fun, and it was a shame I had somewhere else to be, really.. I'd have loved to see how long it took him to get out of that fix.

Instead, I moseyed on down, got my ticket and took my seat. It's a long show, this one, and suitably lavish - and as I watched, it occurred to me that this is one of the iconic things to do in life. You could easily include this on a bucket list - watching a full classical ballet production at the Royal Opera House. It opens with the most gorgeous tableau, which looks as though it comes straight out of a Ladybird children's book, what with a baby in an ornate cradle at the side, nursemaid to hand - the king and queen on their thrones - and gorgeously dressed courtiers milling about. Quite stunning.

Two intervals, timed to coincide with the passage of time in the story - the first covers the 16 years during which our title character is growing up, the second the 100 years that she's asleep (ironic then, that it's shorter than the first). The prologue having taken place before the first interval, we re-enter to the first act - her 16th birthday party, where the costumes are carefully chosen to represent the passage of about that amount of time, being slightly more modern in style. And this is where we get the iconic ballerina pose, reproduced in so many music boxes, and sustained for some time as the princess takes the hand of one suitor after another. Well done, madam - no wonder they get through so many shoes! And cue much appreciation from the audience when the Maleficent-inspired bad fairy escaped through a trapdoor!

The final part sees a terrific set piece, the prince - who is to wake the sleeping beauty - gliding through a misty sea on an ornate boat, guided by the good fairy. (I did think he could have done more for himself, mind - heavens, even when he finds the chamber, she has to show him where the girl is that he has to kiss!) By the end of the night, I had a terrible crith in my neck - being in the slips (I could have chosen the amphitheatre) - but if you're flagging by this stage, Tchaikovsky's marvellous score will revive you. Including that piece that everyone knows. A memorable production - Tuesday was sold out, and although it runs till the 14th, it seems the rest of the run is sold out as well. But it's worth checking out whenever you do get a chance..

Hardly anyone came to the pub after (tsk!), but those few of us who headed to The Sun had an interesting chat, ranging from mice to kings to the mysteries of the universe. And so home - too late to blog.

Yesterday lunchtime, we went out for lunch to celebrate the return to work of someone who's been ill. Someone suggested Mexican - oh dear, never been one of my favourites. Anyway, we had quite a trek to Cafe Pacifico - have to say, I loved the decor.



In common with a couple of others, I had a chimichanga - two of us had beef, one chicken. I think neither of us was happy with the beef - the chicken seemed to be a better bet, or perhaps the chicken enchiladas. What the hey, I still can't say I'm a fan of Mexican food - although the fresh lemonade was lovely.

All of yesterday was taken up with doing my film list, which was just finished in time for me to head down to Southwark Playhouse, to join the same group for Roundelay. Somewhere I've been many times, but not from this starting point - so I had to research bus routes. Google Maps gave me a choice of two - the stops in completely different directions. I figured the nearer stop was a better bet - unfortunately, I got there just in time to see the 176 sail past! Which wasn't a surprise, as the stop was closed for yet more roadworks. Best option was just to schlep off down the road to the next one - which happened along fairly quickly, and despite heavy traffic on Strand, after we crossed the bridge it was much lighter, and I got there in plenty of time.

When I'd looked up the attendance list, I was surprised to see how many familiar faces were coming - and sure enough, when I got to the bar, there was a sea of them. "Hello", "hello", "hello".. Sadly, with so many, I was never going to have a chance to chat to them all, although I managed at least to say hello. I see they've redecorated since we were last here:




And we were dispersed a bit throughout the theatre, which was in the round for this, a play based around the idea of life as a circus show. The ringmistress (as she described herself) was an absolute revelation, gloriously OTT, stalking the stage in a red top hat, fishnets and heels. With a whip, which she threatened to use on us if we weren't enthusiastic enough. Her function otherwise was to introduce to us the seven interconnected stories of love in its different forms, each linked to the last by one character. And yes, the circus props decorating the theatre were used on occasion.

I loved the concept - but the scene-switching seemed a bit cinematic to me, and I'm not sure it transferred entirely successfully to the stage; apart from the ringmistress, no other part of the production really grabbed me, and I couldn't really engage fully with it. What the hey, it's interesting, and well-played - runs till the 18th. Afterwards, it was great to hang with people again - and of course, Mary and I were the last to leave (well, of our group). Outside, the wind was strong enough to knock you over unless you walked into it. The 12 got me home - too late to blog, again. And I was glad to get in from that wind.

It was still there this morning, less strong, but still enough to make my eyes water. I hope it's died down by this evening - I was thinking of free comedy in Hammersmith, with London Live ComedyFree Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, and Random London. But then Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts (and Walking Victorian London) announced a walk called True Spy Stories! So I thought that sounded more interesting, and booked.

Tomorrow, Crick Crack is telling stories - Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton are performing Metamorphoses at Rich Mix. However, the Rich Mix website doesn't seem to have heard of this.. unless you search for that specific day. The independent Crick Crack Club website has a link to buy tickets from Rich Mix though, and at the moment they're being sold at a discounted preview price. And now that the link is available, their Meetup group is advertising it too.

Saturday, Let's Do London - for less! is back to see Sleeping Beauty - and so am I. Honestly, this was a mistake on my part - I was booking a lot at the time and forgot I was already going - but hell, I'd rather be doing this anyway than not. Amphitheatre, this time - it's been a while since I was there.

Sunday, London for Less Than a Tenner advertised "Soho: the Roots of the Swinging Sixties - guided walk"! Now, this confused me, before I read deeper.. I do recall the Man With the Hat saying that, while he was interested in guided walks, he wasn't interested in actually guiding them. Turns out someone else is doing the actual guiding.. Anyway, I booked, but it seems not enough of us did, and he's cancelled the event. The walk is still going ahead though - check out Back in the Day Walks for more details. Me? I might just go to a film - since John Wick Chapter 2 doesn't appeal (still highly rated!), Rogue One: a Star Wars Story is currently looking like it.

Monday, I'm off to see Russell Howard at the Albert Hall.

Tuesday, jeez, the Man with the Hat is back again! Hard to keep up these days - so I'm going with Let's Do London - for less! to The Diary of a Teenage Girl at Southwark Playhouse.

Wednesday 8th, I finally get to go to something with the Post-Apocalyptic Book Club - not a book discussion this time, instead they're off to a play called The Machine Stops, at Jacksons Lane Theatre. Suitably post-apocalyptic. Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend.

Monday 13th, I'm with London Dramatic Arts at the Royal Court, for The Kid Stays in the Picture.

That rescheduled talk on Brexit Vs. Trump from a couple of weeks ago is on Tuesday 14th. Unless I decide to go to a film instead - being Funzing, I can get my money back if I cancel at least 48 hours in advance.

On Wednesday 15th, the Man with the Hat is taking London for Less Than a Tenner to Top Secret.

Thursday 16th, he's back to the Opera House for the opening night of a mixed bill of ballet. As usual, he's in the slips with London for Less Than a Tenner, and in the amphitheatre with Let's Do London - for Less!

Friday 17th, I got a cheap ticket to a very topical version of Twelfth Night, in the Drayton Arms. Ah, I remember when I was walking distance from there..

Saturday 18th, I'm back with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts for an Oliver Twist walk. Back with Hazel, excellent!

Sunday 19th.. not a Man with the Hat event, but one he's advertised. One member of his group plays Spanish guitar, and is giving a concert that night - so I've booked a ticket. Well hey, I do love Spanish music..

Monday 20th, I'm off to a Funzing talk on The Science of Psychedelics. Courtesy of London Speaks SessionsLDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less (nothing to do with the Man with the Hat). Unless I think of something better up to 48 hours beforehand..

Tuesday 21st, I'm with London European Club (LEC) for Carradine's Cockney Singalong, at Hoxton Hall. Had some fun with this last week, when I noticed another group member had confused it with something at a different venue, and thought it wasn't now happening..

Wednesday 22nd, I'm headed with LEC again - with a different organiser - to see 2 Cellos in concert in the London Palladium. Cool - never seen them before, never been there before, and I can probably walk there!

Thursday 23rd, another Funzing Talk, with the same three groups, on The Science of Hypnosis. Again, unless I get a better offer in the meantime. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again..

2 comments:

  1. in this post have very authentic with Ballet Sleeping Beauty & Play Roundelay and further a funny thing happened on the way to the theater.thanks for bring this article.



    Set Up A Ballet Fitness Business in UK | Ballet instructor in UK

    ReplyDelete