Friday 10 February 2017

Concert: An Evening With Colm Wilkinson

Colm Wilkinson, it has to be said, always gives a good show. So when I hear he's scheduled to play anywhere near my mother (Limerick or Ennis), I book. Last time he was supposed to play the University Concert Hall in Limerick was in October - but he did his back in, and rescheduled for last night. Fair enough - I'd have had to book a flight specially to see him in October, but hadn't booked that far ahead yet, so wasn't at a loss. And my new boss had no problem in giving me these couple of days off, so I could fly on Wednesday and go to the concert last night.

As usual, we decided to eat beforehand in the Castletroy Park Hotel, across the road form the university. No problem getting parking, and we went in - noting, on the way, all the functions that were booked in the various function rooms. The problems started when we entered the pub, where we normally eat.. no free tables! I think that's the first time that has happened to us. Anyway, the server found us a nice table in the conservatory, and we ordered - our usual, basically: soup, wine, stir-fry, salmon. We know these things are good, here.

The drinks came, the soup came - accompanied by their excellent bread. Service was friendly, and we noted how busy they were. We had plenty of time to watch them scurrying around.. Eventually my mother announced that she'd had it, she was leaving - we didn't want to leave it too late to find parking at the university. With no sign of anyone coming near us, I went to ask about our main courses. He said he'd check in the kitchen. I don't think he ever did. After some minutes more, we finished our drinks and I went to pay for what we'd had - he apologised profusely and discounted us a bit for our trouble. The kitchen, he said, was under severe pressure - sure enough, a middle-aged lady who'd arrived after us came to the counter at that point to order directly, considering it'd be faster (she must have been on her way to the concert too) and was told she had no chance of getting any food in under 40 minutes! (Pity they hadn't warned us of that.) They were negotiating the ETA of chips when I left.

So, no dinner then. My mother hadn't had any soup, but was glad she'd had one of my slices of bread. We headed to the university, where I was lucky to get parking fairly close.. upstairs, at concert hall level, it was manic. We normally get a seat at that time in the adjacent cafe - my mother begged a spare seat from someone at a table, while I queued to buy the very last slice of cake, and a bar of chocolate. Then queued for a glass of wine, at a different counter. As you might expect, the concert was sold out - as the lady at the box office told one poor, optimistic soul hoping to get a last-minute ticket. I've never seen it like this, though. Maybe it was just a perfect storm, a combination of people coming for the concert, and people doing other things at the hotel..

After gobbling what I'd foraged for, we made our way in - at least we had good seats. Sure enough, we watched the stalls and balcony fill up completely, and of course the show started a little late. The crowd weren't bothered though, and Colm got a rousing round of applause when he came on. Now, his background is in musical theatre, which naturally comprised a lot of the programme - and in a week when I'd seen Phantom of the Opera for the first time in decades (!), it was great that he started with Music of the Night..

He's not getting any younger, but as someone was to remark on the way out, his voice seems to be improving with age! Now, he also has a great interest in country music, which made an appearance or several - and with his accompanying singers, he also included many popular songs. (Thanks, Colm, for the performance of the U2 song, One!) The only quibble I had was his perpetual urge to hit a high note at the end of songs, whether or not they called for it - but he does like the high ones. Speaking of which, I didn't join in the almost universal standing ovation when he left the stage - but only because I knew he'd be back. As Jean Valjean in the original English-language production of Les Misérables, for whom Bring Him Home was specifically written, he always likes to end with it - when he leaves after the main show, it's just to put on the jacket! And he told us how, when he was in New York, someone sent him a ticket to Forbidden Broadway, and how much he enjoyed their hilarious send-up of Les Misérables - also singing a bit of their version of the song.

I was happy to jump to my feet when he finally did finish. He's still got it. Got home pretty much just in time to go to bed, ready to take my mother to an appointment today - and today was busy. But hey, I did find time to blog finally, eh? And we finally got fed, at the Abbey Tavern this evening - where I had chardonnay, because I don't like their new pinot grigio, and tried a new special that turned out to be terrific. The herb coated supreme of chicken with herb stuffing comes highly recommended, if you happen by there and they happen to have it..


Flying back to London on Sunday. On Monday, I got a cheap ticket to a comedy show - Alasdair King is performing at the Pleasance Theatre.

On Tuesday, I was supposed to go to a Funzing talk - Brexit Vs. Trump - but it's been bumped to next month. So now I'm going on what you might call an anti-Valentine's walk - Walk About London (and Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts) is going on a walk called My Bloody Valentine. And bloody hell, if I haven't booked with Walk About London, and later discovered that Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts is cheaper! Ooh, will have to keep an eye out for that in future - too late now..

Wednesday sees the Man with the Hat back with London for Less Than a Tenner at Top Secret comedy.

Thursday, he's taking London for Less Than a Tenner to a concert in St. Martin's, where we have gallery seats. And he's sold out his quota, I see.

Next Friday, I'm back for free comedy in Hammersmith. Courtesy of London Live ComedyFree Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, and London Art Comedy and Culture Lovers.

Saturday of next week, I'm back with London Dramatic Arts for a production of Hamlet, at the Almeida.

Sunday of next week is shaping up to be a busy day. I'd booked to go to a free organ recital, with the London European Club, at the Methodist Central Hall. Then the Man with the Hat decides that would be the perfect evening to take Let's Do London - for less! to see the Pop-up Opera, with the Barber of Seville, at Charing Cross Theatre! With a 6pm start, I'll have to rush over from Westminster.. have to make my excuses to the London European Club. My, what a busy life!

Monday 20th is the only day I have free to use my Wowcher before it expires - it's for the Magic Lantern festival.

Tuesday 21, unusually, London European Club is taking us to some storytelling - up in Cambridge Heath!

Wednesday 22, I'm headed, with LDAM, to The Cherry Orchard, at the Arcola.

Thursday 23, the Crick Crack Club is back at Crouch End, with The Fate We Bring Ourselves - not that you'd know it from their Meetup pageBen Haggerty standing in for Claire Muireann Murphy, who's having a knee operation, it seems. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

Monday 27th, London for Less Than a Tenner is off to Two Man Show at Soho Theatre. I've seen it before, but it's worth seeing again. And so is the group!

Tuesday 28th, Let's Do London - for less! is off to Sleeping Beauty, at the Opera House.

Wednesday 1st March - well lookee that, the same group is off to Roundelay, at Southwark Playhouse. Three in a row for the Man with the Hat - we'll have to carry him off on a stretcher. About time we got back to Southwark though - we've missed it!

Thursday 2nd, back to free comedy in Hammersmith - this time with London Live Comedy, Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, and Random London.

Friday 3rd, again, Crick Crack is telling stories - Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton are performing Metamorphoses at Rich Mix. However, neither Crick Crack's Meetup group, nor Rich Mix, seem to have heard of this, and tickets are not yet available to buy - despite Ben Haggerty advertising it just last Monday!

And Saturday 4th, Let's Do London - for less! is back to see Sleeping Beauty - and so am I. Honestly, this was a mistake on my part - I was booking a lot at the time and forgot I was already going - but hell, I'd rather be doing this anyway than not. Amphiteatre, this time - it's been a while since I was there.

And then I may need to be stretchered out..

No comments:

Post a Comment