Wednesday 27 January 2016

Play: Jane Wenham, the Witch of Walkern

Quite a mouthful - Jane Wenham, the Witch of Walkern. But then, it is based on a true story. Well, I'm always interested in a witch trial - so I booked.

Pity it's in the Arcola - nothing wrong with the place, but it's a hassle to get to from where I live. The cheapest, and simplest, option was to take the Overground directly from Clapham Junction to Dalston Junction, a short walk away. The quickest option, however, was to take a train to either Vauxhall or Victoria, then the Victoria Line to Highbury and Islington, where I could catch the Overground to Dalston Kingsland - the last one that would get me there on time was to pass through Highbury & Islington at 7.23 (show time is at 7:30).

Well, the weather yesterday turned nasty, and driving fast coming back from the office was tricky. And traffic was heavy. I'd checked all my timings, and knew, by the time I finally parked the car back in Clapham Junction, that I'd missed the Overground I needed - so, the more expensive and complicated - but - quicker - option it was.

I scurried off to the station, where I'd decided to take the next train leaving to either Vauxhall or Victoria. As it happened, I was just in time for one to Vauxhall - ten minutes earlier than required by my timetable. Just as well I'd done that route before, though - the upcoming stations indicator on the train was wrong: had us going in completely the wrong direction. Often happens in the evenings - they pay less attention. Also, there was no announcement as we pulled into Vauxhall - nor could I see a sign anywhere with the station name, despite looking.

Well, I made my way onto the Underground, picking up a paper as I passed - I still had a ways to go. (Good job I don't need it tonight - I see there are problems on that line today!) Made it to Dalston Kingsland with a faint hope of making the Overground before the 7:23 - it was nearly 10 past, and they only go every 15 minutes. I was just climbing down to the platform as it pulled away.. But imagine my joy when I saw an extra one scheduled, for just seven minutes time! Don't know why - but I was glad to take it; the train was crammed, but enough people got off that I managed to squeeze on.

It was only two more stops, and I knew the way - out of the station, turn right and it's the second left, down an alley. Now, it's a while since I'd been here, and I'd forgotten that the theatre entrance is around the corner from the bar.. ended up going through the bar and getting completely confused! I did finally figure out where the box office was, and had to squeeze past the long queue of people that were already going in. Ticket in hand, I managed to jump the queue slightly.. well, we did all have assigned seating!

The ushers couldn't really be bothered telling people where their seats were, and I had to ask twice, then ask the person who, it transpired, was sitting beside me, what number the seat beside her was! They do have seat numbers here - on tiny pieces of paper, discreetly stuck to the ridge at the top of each seat, and invisible as you pass along the row. Anyway, that was indeed my seat, on which I sat. Gratefully. I'd gone primarily for proximity to the stage, so was sat at the side - and although it was Row B, it turned out to be the front row for this production.

So. A witch trial, in early 18th Century England. You can guess most of the story already, certainly the themes raised - the dangerous idiocy of the trials, the mass hysteria, the overzealous preacher. The first thing you notice is that they've made a deliberate effort to have authentic accents - the educated clergy speak clearly, but the common folk speak in a deep country accent that can be hard to understand. Even some of the words used are new to our modern ears - this award-winning writer has paid great attention to detail.

It's a wonderful thing to watch. Forget that we've heard this, or similar stories before; it's wonderfully acted, and truly atmospheric - especially when they use music. Another hit for the Arcola, and highly recommended if this kind of story is your thing. Runs until Saturday - contains nudity. Go see!

As we left, there was a crash from the other side of the auditorium. The seating here is tiered, with a flight of steps to the side, and for some reason starts a bit up from the ground. So the bottom step is loose - deliberately, the steps simply don't go all the way down to the floor. And whatever way someone had stepped on the one on the other side - possibly just on the edge - he'd managed to overturn it, which of course he hadn't been expecting. He'd gone sprawling into the props lined up at the side, and could have been injured badly. Black mark there for the Arcola!

I came out the other way, heading for Dalston Junction and the direct train home. Come out of the alley on the other side, and it's just across the road to the right. Good luck crossing, though - the pedestrian crossing lights seemed not  to be working, and we eventually took our chances with the traffic. At the station, I couldn't find a timetable - but the platform indicator said there'd be a train to Clapham Junction in nine minutes. As I descended the stairs, and was hit by a frigid breeze, I was apprehensive - but apparently (despite what the map indicates), this is a terminus station, and a train was just pulling in, which we could sit on. In relative warmth.

Brother, was I glad to get home - the journey took forever, partly because of a lengthy, unexplained delay coming into Denmark Hill. I stopped for chips on the way home, and got home just after bedtime - too late to blog. Well, I should be working from home today, but my blasted resident parking permit is being held up, because I don't yet have papers to prove I own the car, and if I don't come to Guildford I'll have to pay for parking at home! Grr..

Tonight is my only Meetup of the week - I'm off to a Farsa Moneda concert at Sands Film Studios, with the London European Club. Really looking forward to that - both the music, and the fantastic, quirky venue. And it's closer than last night, and starts later - all good. Tomorrow, I got a cheap ticket to Laugh Train Home - I've been to that once before, but this one is in Acton. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.. and on Saturday, we're off to A Night at the Musicals, presented by a local school, Coláiste Chiaráin, at the Limetree Theatre.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete