Friday 21 February 2014

Acrobatics: Circa + Debussy

I was so pleased to get to see something this evening that wasn't a film. Not that I don't love films, but I do prefer a balance. So, when I came across Circa + Debussy, I booked a ticket straight away. Running at the Barbican, last show tomorrow, it's priced at £16, £23, and £30. Since all the £16 seats I clicked on, on the seating plan, were said to have a restricted view, I went for the next price level up, finding a ticket at £23 that didn't say it had a restricted view.

I spent some time today researching, again, how to get there, given that it's all the way on the other side of town. I've been a few times, but with large gaps between visits, so it's always worth a check. Google Maps suggested two routes - District Line to either Cannon Street or Edgeware Road, and another Tube from there. Trains to both stations pass through my local station, West Brompton, so I decided to make a decision based on whichever came first - I've gone both ways before. In the event, as I crossed the bridge to the eastbound platform, an Edgeware Road train was just pulling in, and I just made it! so that's the route I took. (Oh, and the platform indicator was working for once!)

Mind you, I was worried. The District Line was on its usual go-slow - we were at least five minutes in Earl's Court, and almost as long at a subsequent station - but we made decent time in the end, and I arrived on the Edgeware Road platform just a minute before a train arrived to take me into town, and to Barbican station. I made the Barbican Centre with minutes to spare.

I must be getting used to the Barbican - it wasn't as complicated as I remember. I knew I was heading for the theatre, and immediately saw the sign for the box office for the hall and theatre (I had to pick up my ticket). Pre-paid tickets for the theatre to the left, hall to the right. Interestingly, while I was getting my ticket, I noticed that the other person behind the counter seemed quite preoccupied with giving someone directions over the phone. "Under the overpass.." I suppose they had come to Barbican station, expecting to see signs for the Barbican. True, it's not obvious, and you might expect it to be. In fact, you have to basically cross the road and go "under the overpass", as he said. At the end, Barbican cinemas 2 & 3 are on your left, and the rest - cinema 1, the hall, the theatre, and whatever else - just around the corner on your right. You'll see the sign at the entrance.

The lady who got me my ticket obligingly informed me that I was to just head over to the right. Sure enough, there was the theatre entrance. I have been to the Barbican Theatre before, but only once, and it's been a while. I had to climb two levels, but the stairs here are quite forgiving. Unlike other places I could mention. When I got to the Upper Circle, an usher showed me to my row and I excused myself past the people who had got there already. I was in the front row at this level, and was glad to get to my seat, noting, as I did, that I was actually a couple of minutes late - but, as with everything else, they didn't start on time, so that was ok.

Seats at this theatre are very comfortable, with uniformly good legroom. There was also a safety rail, that, while reassuring, nonetheless did cut right across my view of the stage. It's a narrow rail, but still, it was annoying - you had to lean forward to see the stage without a bar across it. So much for a non-restricted view. Last time I was here, I was in the stalls. I do recall a review of this theatre that remarked that, for a new theatre, there was an enormous number of restricted-view seats. I guess it's a reflection of how cramped the upper levels are - I had a look around at my level, and noted that people in the back row might have an extremely restricted view, as a result of the overhang from the level above us!

Anyway, the show duly started. (As a side note, I needn't have worried about missing it - people, at least in the level above us, were still being let in quite late.) Basically, we have the Australian circus group, Circa, accompanied by the Debussy String Quartet. I cannot write a better review than the one I've linked to in the show link at the beginning of this article. Every time I see an acrobatic show these days, I am stunned at the lengths they go to, how they push the boundaries. This is no exception. I frequently gasped out loud - and the audience as a whole ooh-ed and aah-ed at various points. There is such a progression of incredible displays of prowess - with few stops for applause - that by the time you get the chance to show your appreciation, you're bursting with it!

In the midst of all this, we have four non-athletic-looking musicians. Actually, for the first part of the show, they move around the acrobats. The acrobatic moves are intelligent and imaginative, and perfectly choreographed to the music (which, by the way, is Shostakovich, not Debussy!). The performance breaks at the breaks between pieces. Then, for one piece, one by one, four chairs are brought onstage - one for each musician. They are led to them with their eyes closed, then they are blindfolded, and play while acrobats twirl and swoop among them.  Not that they get away that easily - witness the musician who's led out of his chair, still playing and still blindfolded, and performs various tricks with one of the acrobats, playing his violin all the time! Now, that takes concentration..

They well deserved the cheering ovation they got at the end! What a pity the show finishes tomorrow (Saturday) - but I suspect the poor acrobats would be worn out by any more. I am glad I got to see it! Go see, if you're in town tomorrow evening. You will not be disappointed, I promise. I came home the same way, and didn't even have to change platform this time, in Edgeware Road.

For tomorrow.. well, I could go see A Taste of Honey, at the National Theatre - but the only tickets left are £50, and I'm not that mad about it. I had a look for tickets for The Hotel Plays, another set of three short plays by Tennessee Williams, but they're completely sold out for tomorrow. Which leads me back to film again. Top of the list is an Indian thriller, Highway, about a young girl who is kidnapped and develops a relationship with her kidnappers. Seems, from the trailer, to have some terrific scenery, so that should be worth a look. Several showings - we'll see how early I get up!

No comments:

Post a Comment